Tolbooth Steeple at Glasgow Cross
Standing on an island in the middle of Glasgow Cross is the Tolbooth Steeple, built in 1625-26 at what was the crossing point for the main streets of Glasgow at that time. The Steeple is all that remains of the old Tolbooth buildings which were demolished in 1921. The Tolbooth was the site of the Glasgow Council Chambers until 1814, when the council sold the Tolbooth and moved to Jail Square in the Saltmarket, before eventually moving to the current City Chambers on George Square. The 126ft tall Steeple was repaired in 2008 after cracks were discovered in the structure, along with masonry, lead and guttering repairs.
The Tolbooth Steeple was where the public hangings of Glasgow used to occur. Along with the nearby Tron Theatre, it is one of the few remaining medieval buildings in the city. [Wikipedia ]