Prestongrange Industrial Heritage Museum

Prestongrange Industrial Heritage Museum

For centuries Prestongrange was a place of intense industrial activity.

A harbour, glass works, pottery, colliery and brickworks have all left their marks on the landscape.

The placename derives from "Preston", meaning "priest's town", and a grange (or granary) which was worked by the Cistercian monks of Newbattle Abbey.

In the 16th century the Morrison family owned the Prestongrange lands. Their name survives in the present-day Morrison's Haven, the harbour of Prestongrange.

In the early 17th century, Mark Ker took possession of the lands from the abbey, and after the Grant Suttie family took over, the Prestongrange Colliery was no longer productive and fell into disuse.

In 1830, Sir George Grant Suttie leased Prestongrange Colliery to Matthias Dunn, the Inspector of Mines.

Prestongrange Colliery closed in 1962 and today the industries of Prestongrange are silent, but once this compact area was the hub of a dynamic, successful and integrated industrial complex. Much of its story lies at the core of Scotland's Industrial Revolution. Coal was first mined here 800 years ago and by the nineteenth century, mining had supported salt-making and the manufacture of bricks, clay-pipes, soap, fine pottery, chemicals, beers and even glass in a complex of integrated industries. Remnants of these former industries can still be seen today. Highlights include the rare Hoffman Kiln built in 1937 and a 19th century Cornish Beam Engine. The engine is unique in Scotland as the only beam engine still on the site where it worked.


  • No Comments

  • Prestonpans


Prestonpans is a small fishing town, situated approximately 1.5 miles from Prestongrange, and about eight miles east of Edinburgh in East Lothian.


It is near the site of the 1745 Battle of Prestonpans (first called the Battle of Gladsmuir, then renamed the Battle of Tranent, and later still renamed the Battle of Prestonpans - although evidence shows the battle occurred a few miles outside of town). The town, established in the eleventh century, has a variety of important historical architecture, including: Preston Tower and the doocot and the local Mercat Cross, which is the only one of its kind in Scotland which remains in its original form and location. Prestonpans is "Scotland's Mural Town", with many murals depicting local history.