Bankton House & Prestonpans
7
6
4

Prestonpans is a small fishing town, situated approximately eight miles east of Edinburgh in East Lothian.


It is near the site of the 1745 Battle of Prestonpans (first called the Battle of Gladsmuir, then renamed the Battle of Tranent, and later still renamed the Battle of Prestonpans - although evidence shows the battle occurred a few miles outside of town).


The town, established in the eleventh century, has a variety of important historical architecture, including: Preston Tower and the doocot and the local Mercat Cross, which is the only one of its kind in Scotland which remains in its original form and location.


Prestonpans is "Scotland's Mural Town", with many murals depicting local history.


  • No Comments

  • Prestongrange Industrial Heritage Museum

Prestongrange is a place in East Lothian situated between Musselburgh to the west, and Prestonpans in the east.

The place name derives from "Preston", meaning "priest's town", and a grange (or granary) which was worked by the Cistercian monks of Newbattle Abbey.

In the early 17th century, Mark Ker took possession of the lands from the abbey, and after the Grant Suttie family took over, the Prestongrange Colliery was no longer productive and fell into disuse. In 1830, Sir George Grant Suttie leased Prestongrange Colliery to Matthias Dunn, the Inspector of Mines.


 Prestongrange Museum is an industrial heritage museum at Prestongrange, founded as the original site of the National Mining Museum, its operation reverted to East Lothian Council Museum Service (the current operators) in 1992.