Harled tenement 95-99 West Bow, Edinburgh built by Janet McMath (Widow of James Johnston, poultryman) in 1729
Until after the 1827 Improvement Act, West Bow was a steep Z-shaped street which climbed from the Grassmarket to Upper Bow at the foot of Castlehill. Most of the old buildings in West Bow were swept away to make room for the northern side of Victoria Street, built to link the Grassmarket with the new George IV Bridge. Before their demolition, Thomas Hamilton, the architect for the scheme, made careful elevational drawings of the buildings. As Hamilton's drawing shows, the first five houses at the lower end of the street on the West remain.