Tolbooth Tavern, Royal Mile, Edinburgh
Old Tolbooth, Edinburgh
The Old Tolbooth was a medieval building located on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Demolished in 1817, the Tolbooth served various purposes during its existence. It housed early meetings of the Estates of Scotland, Court of Session, and also of the Provost and Burgesses of the Burgh Council. Furthermore it was employed as the Burgh's main gaol, and was one of the more popular places of public execution and torture for criminals and enemies of the state alike.
Old Edinburgh Close