Glasgow 2012 - FotoFlingScotland


Folders

Powered by SmugMug Log In

Former Sheriff Court House, Glasgow

The former Glasgow Sheriff Court in Wilson Street was originally built as the City and County Buildings in 1844. The block was extended all the way back to Ingram Street later in the century. The erection of the City Chambers in George Square in 1888 led to a change of use for the County Buildings, housing Glasgow Sheriff Court for the next 100 years or so.
The competition winning neo-classical design by the Glasgow based partnership of William Clarke & George Bell features an elevated portico sitting on a decorated plinth with a frieze of classical figures at street level.
With its current refurbishment, the enormous façade was retained around a new interior structure which has a mixed residential/ commercial use. Unfortunately the modernistic glazed frame sticking out from the top of the classical frontage presents an eysore to passing visitors. The planning authority should have insisted that the new structure was kept within the height of the classical façade thus preserving the integrity of the original exterior design.

glasgow.